Regional Bank - IT Operating Model and CIO Change
A new target IT operating model to prepare a CIO generation change and align with corporate priorities.
The regional bank is well established in its area and belongs to the market leaders group for retail and commercial business.
The CIO has served for many years and wanted - in alignment with his managing director - to actively shape his last years before retirement, including succession planning.
Challenges and opportunities in straightening data governance, reducing IT legacy systems, operationalizing the digital transformation agenda, and integrating an external IT unit are ahead.
The goal of the project was to develop an up-to-date IT strategy as well as an aligned IT target operating model, considering the following key points in particular:
- Align with the overall corporate strategy
- Reflect the needs and priorities of the business functions
- Understand the strengths and weaknesses of the current IT landscape, the IT operating model as well as the context of architecture, IT sourcing, the project portfolio, and business / IT alignment
- Derive scenarios for the succession planning of the CIO
- Consider the identified challenges and opportunities in straightening data governance, reducing IT legacy systems, operationalizing the digital transformation agenda, and integrating an external IT unit
The following approach has been taken to develop the new IT strategy and a corresponding target IT operating model:
- Interviews with selected business executives, board members, the CIO, and his management team
- Analysis of the existing IT strategy and key documents, as well as a briefing workshop series with the CIO
- Workshop series with the CIO and the managing director on scenarios for the succession plan and the interrelation to the identified challenges and opportunities
- For the selected scenario: development of a high-level target IT operating model
- Communication to the board, the IT team, and relevant stakeholders
The project length for developing a new target IT operating model to prepare a CIO generation change was approximately 4 months.