Middle Europe Petrol Station Network - IT Strategy and IT Operating Model
A new IT strategy and operating model for the overall enterprise factoring in company growth, market trends, and the next steps in digitalization.
The petrol station network operates from a well-established position in middle Europe. Cost efficiency, operational excellence, and graduate geographical scaling are at the core of the business. In recent years, building up shop options with food services and supermarket offerings has been in focus.
IT has to adapt and play a more relevant role in the future. Supporting business excellence by having a modern and efficient application landscape, optimizing IT infrastructure by utilizing the cloud, strengthening IT security capabilities, and further optimizing IT processes and IT sourcing are in focus.
The goal of the project was to develop an up-to-date IT strategy and IT operating model for the company's future, considering the following key points in particular:
- Align with the updated business strategy
- Understand the strengths and weaknesses of the current IT landscape, the IT operating model as well as the context of architecture, IT sourcing, the project portfolio, and business / IT alignment
- Reflect the needs and priorities of the business functions
- Transform IT into a business partner at eye height with the other business functions
- Consider the identified challenges and opportunities in having a modern and efficient application landscape, optimizing IT infrastructure by utilizing the cloud, strengthening IT security capabilities, and further optimizing IT processes and IT sourcing
The following approach has been taken to develop a new future-oriented IT strategy and IT operating model:
- Interviews with the board, IT leadership, IT management, and representatives of business functions
- Analysis of the existing IT strategy and key documents
- External view on the as-is situation (IT-SWOT, maturity level subsumption, special topics)
- Development of an updated IT vision and guiding principles
- Development of target pictures in all elemental IT strategy dimensions
- Derivation of a strategic roadmap to operationalize reaching the defined target states
- Alignment with the board and detailing of the target picture for the IT operating model
- Finalization of the formal IT strategy and target IT operating model with the CIO
The project length for developing a new future-oriented IT strategy and IT operating model was approximately 4 months.