Steel Production International Niche Player - Independent As-Is Evaluation
An independent analysis & discussion with the board and the CIO on the as-is situation of the corporate IT considering benchmarks and IT key metrics.
The company is a highly specialized niche player in steel production for many years. While their products, markets, and business processes are relatively stable, IT and business process automation are becoming increasingly important.
Accordingly, the company's board focuses more on the positioning and the performance of its corporate IT.
The goal of the project was to provide an independent analysis & discussion of the corporate IT function considering the following key points in particular:
- Understand the strengths and weaknesses of the current IT setup (organization, governance, processes, architecture, sourcing, project portfolio)
- Compare the corporation against common IT benchmarks and IT key metrics
- Discuss potential future changes and initiatives considering corporate strategy and IT strategy
The following approach has been taken to provide an independent analysis & discussion of the newly developed IT strategy:
- Settings session with the board and the CIO
- Analysis of the existing IT strategy and key documents
- Walkthrough sessions with the CIO
- Interviews with selected stakeholders in IT and business
- Comparison of the company against selected IT benchmarks and IT key metrics
- Final discussion on the external review and particular topics of interest
The project length for the independent as-is analysis of the IT function, including benchmarks and IT key metrics, was approximately 8 weeks.